The castle of Arab origin, rebuilt in the 19th century. XIII, had a large walled perimeter, part of which is still visible.
Facing Rua da Barbacã stands a tower made of masonry, dated from the Middle Ages. Another of the visible towers is the so-called “Torre de Vela” (Tower of Vela). This is also an albarran tower, located on the old Rua da Corredoura, now Rua Engenheiro Duarte Pacheco, and near it stands the Porta de Faro, Almohad building. In the south arrabalde, or Mouraria, at the exit of the Port of Faro, after the reconquest, an area was destined to the Moorish liners that received a charter of D. Afonso III, in 1269. It was in these streets that would be located the artisan facilities, to prove by the Place names once or still exist today.
There are no vestiges of the primitive alcáçova, however it is assumed that it would be located in the same place where today there is the alcaidaria that houses several cultural spaces (Municipal Museum, Traditional Cuisine, Documentation Center with newspaper library, photo library, Local and regional history, personalities, events and others).
The Almohad ramparts of the city are preserved throughout the city, built or at least reinforced in the 12th century, which are visible in small sections, camouflaged by houses that were built on it, and other wall panels that were Being discovered in recent interventions carried out by the autarchy.